How to Give a Hand Massage – The Benefits and Steps
Along with a foot massage, I love a good hand massage, too. The hand has tons and tons of pressure points and reflexology spots that balance others in other parts of your body. In general terms the benefits of reflexology have to do with the reduction of stress. Because the feet and hands help set the tension level for the rest of the body they are an easy way to interrupt the stress signal and reset homeostasis, the body’s equilibrium. Whether reflexology can benefit certain conditions and diseases in still under investigation. Further scientific study need to be done in order to come to some definite benefits of reflexology in regard to illness and disease. We will talk about some benefits of hand massage first, then we will go to how to give a hand massage.
The benefits of reflexology include:
- Pain reduction
- Amelioration of symptoms for health concerns
- Rejuvenation of tired feet
- Improvement in blood flow
- Impact on physiological measures (e. g. blood pressure and cholesterol)
- Beneficial for post-operative recovery and pain reduction
- Enhancement of medical care (e. g. cancer, phantom limb pain, and hemodialysis patients)
- Adjunct to mental health care (e. g. depression, anxiety, Post traumatic stress disorder)
- Complement to cancer care (pain, nausea, vomiting, anxiety.
Here are some steps to giving a good hand massage:
- Lightly massage between the bones on the back of the hand, from the base of the fingers to the wrist.
- Massage the palm with your thumbs in circular movementsfor 10 seconds or so.
- Place your little fingers beside and behind the reciver’s middle finger.
- Place your ring fingers beside and behind the receiver’s outer fingers and thumbs.
- Press into the back of the receiver’s hand with your middle and index fingers.
- Massage the palm with your thumbs in circular movements for about 20 seconds.
There you go! Have fun giving receiving and receiving hand massages. You use your hand so much, that these are much needed 10 minute luxuries!